I wish to use the best and most useful technology to help my students learn math. The immediate uses that a website can be good for is to post homework assignments. If I can ever figure out how to set up an excel program where students can access their grades without violating the privacy of others, I would be happy to use that. Other uses is to set up a series of 'how to' videos or videos of math interest for students to access. I would also like to be able to set up a series of math applications where students can explore math. Another great use of technology is contact with parents. Overwhelmingly, parents wish to have more communication with teachers and the internet and email have been the most benign.
Their are limitations that technology seems to have. One scary thing is if a teacher's blog site became a flame war of anonymous critiques directed at other students or the teacher. Another limitation is the difficulty to read challenging text online. I've tried to read novels on computer screens and the experience is hard on the eyes. A number of students have asked for the address for the online textbooks but those have led to difficulties, especially when the publisher's website is down or clunky, which seems to be the rule and not the exception.
Perhaps I can create assignments that students can access from home, but there is the huge concern that not all students have access to technology.
So, to summarize my feelings, I think technology helps with communication of course requirements to students and parents, and can lead students to appropriate course content on the internet.
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Don, hi, I'm next door to you. (: Jane
Ditto on fear of flame wars! There is a tendency to think everyone shares the same moral values, online or not.
I have a similar concern of having the blog be public therefore allowing anyone being able to post comments onto the blog. There must be a way to restrict or invite viewers to the blog. Hopefully, Kathleen will address this concern.
Yay. She just did.
Hi, tried to comment before, you must have blocked it. I was inspired by your wordl and want to try it. I liked the food at the DAC meeting, didn't you?
I am also concerned about equity. We have a poorer population than you do and last I heard we had about 50% kids with internet access at home. The computers at school are difficult to get to and not everyone has a mom around to drive them to the library.
Sorry the food at our DAC meetings isn't good for you, it is one of the high points.
Post a Comment